Tuesday 19 January 2010

Rough Mock of "in flux" Magazine

















I have created two mock magazine covers that fit my original design brief. For the first I took a photograph from Google.com of a patchwork fabric piece to use as a background. I then also took a photograph from the same resource of the actor, Robert Pattinson, editted this into grayscale and added him to the background. To give an arty look I used paintbrush on photoshop to colour in his jacket, I used pastel shades as this is what I want my colour palette to consist of. I also used hashed lines around the figure to add a simple design, I do intend to use this on my final product but they will be much smaller and more intricate - much more like a sewn line. I played around with the positioning of the masthead and finally decided that I liked it best in the top left corner, purely for aesthetic reasons. In my opinion this is just a very rough copy to me, the patchwork is something I don't intend to use and infact now I have used a fabric background I don't think this is what I will choose to use as it's very hard to make the coverlines easily visible due to the pale pastel pallette.
The second attempt at a Mock magazine cover was by far better, for this I tore brown paper to give a textured effect and then scanned it, this went on to become the background and infact I really liked the effect it gave. I then took a 'more' midshot of Robert Pattinson from Google, to give a more full shot and again editted this into grayscale. Rather than taking a huge section of the photograph and 'paintbrushing' it, I took a small detail from his t-shirt and focused on this, again I think this works better than on the first one as it looks less messy, and more arty. I kept the masthead the same, as I had no problem with this, and I also added in a coverline which again I feel works really well with the whole look of the cover. I love how the colours go together, the pastel colours with the grayscale on the brown paper look brilliant. In my opinion anyway. :)

1 comment:

  1. Steff,

    the mock ups you have produced look good. you are starting to develop an interesting style. i disagree with you about the musical notes. as long as the magazine has some text that identifies it as being music then you can remove the notes - they don't look as effective as the rest of the cover.

    the grayscale works brilliantly as does the title.

    also i would drop the 'for' from 'for music on the move'.

    you need to produce some more work in a similar style. have a look at Dani's blog to see the sort of thing i mean.

    AND

    1.label all posts properly
    2.add a link list
    3.add mixpod or other music app to your sidebar

    ReplyDelete

Followers